In this article, We will be discussing the Game Developer Job Description. Game developers are responsible for designing and developing video games for PC, console, and mobile applications. Their job is to code the base engine from the ideas of the design team. They may also be involved in character design, level design, animation, and unit testing.
The game developer plays a vital role in the game development team. Game developers bring life to the game. Game Developers need to deal with other departments such as game designers, game artists, the Testing department, etc. Their responsibility is to make the game playable, bugless, and run the game smoothly for a good user experience.
If you want the complete roadmap to becoming a game developer so you can check out this article:- Roadmap to becoming a game developer. Continue reading for understanding the game developer job description.
So here is the game developer job description.
Game Developer Job Description
Here are several points that describe the game developer job description.
- Training in computer science or computer programming
- Problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of 2D and 3D animation software
- Familiar with the game production pipeline process
- Passion for video games and experience with gaming
- Interpersonal skills to deal with creative and production teams
- Team player, ability to work independently
- Able to keep on schedule and meet deadlines
- Good communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Expert knowledge of technical and software advancements in the gaming industry
- Knowledge of gaming genres and trends
So to understand the game developer job description better we need to understand first the game developer roles and responsibilities.
Roles And Responsibilities Of Game Developer
The game developer makes the game playable like all the actions you see in the game such as running, walking shooting, etc. are developed by the game developer. They need to make sure that all the game development functionality is working smoothly and are bugless.
A game programmer uses codes to create the program that smartphones, computers, or video games system can read. They pick out the coding language that best suits the gaming platform.
So here are the key roles and responsibilities that you will see in game developer job description.
Roles And Responsibilities Of The Game Developer:
- Understand the game requirement.
- Translate visual ideas into code.
- Prototype, iterate, and polish gameplay
- Solving the bugs and errors in the game.
- Collaborate with designers, producers, artists, and game testers.
- Monitor game stability across platforms
- Review existing code and recommend improvements
Software And Other Tools Used
- Unity is a cross-platform game engine that allows you to develop 2D and 3D games. Unity is particularly popular for indie and mobile games. It’s free for students and for personal use, so you can start creating games (and gaining experience) before you get hired.
- Unreal Engine, while initially developed for first-person shooters, has grown into a 3D creation platform used for games across a range of platforms. Unreal uses C++ as its programming language.
- C# (pronounced C-sharp) is a programming language frequently used for game development and mobile applications, particularly with the Unity engine.
- C++ Is a general-purpose programming language often used to develop not only games but operating systems and applications as well.
- Mathematics A Game developer should be good at maths to solve problems while developing the game. There are some topics of math that are used in game development like Algebra, Vectors, Calculus, etc.
- Logical Thinking is most important to becoming a game developer because they need to deal with logical problems while developing the games.
- Problem Solving Skills is also an important skill for game developers because developing and coding the game is a process where you will get many bugs and errors that you will have to solve. There you prove your problem-solving skills.
- Programming Skill is the most essential skill for game developers. Game Developers need to know at least one programming language. The most popular one for platform games is C# which Unity Engine Use, And it is similar to Java. Another language you may be expected to know is C++ that Unreal Engine uses. Game Developers may also need to know Python and Lua for other game engines.
Average Salary Of Game Developer
The average salary for a Game Programmer will range from USD $49,000 for a junior position to USD $85,000+ for a senior position. (Source: Glassdoor)
Hope the article was helpful and now you should have a better understanding of the game developer job description.
Let me know in the comments Why You Want To Become a Game Developer?